Those of you that know me, know about my unashamed love for food. And considering that this is the “merry” season I would like to share one of my favourite recipes. You can enjoy this with rice.
Give it a try and have your family asking for more!!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 lb (450g) fillet of beef
1 lb (450g) fresh spinach
2 tbsp butter
2-inch (5 cm) piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup (100g/4 oz) cahsew nuts, toasted
2 sticks celery, diced
1 tbsp oil
Salt and black pepper
2/3 cup (150ml/1/4 pint) beef stock
2/3 cup (150ml/1/4 pint) medium sherry or sake
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp cold stock or water
- Cut the beef into slices and, with a meat mallet, beam them down to make thin scallops.
- Wash the spinach well and drain well. Pat dry with a dish towel. Heat the butter and cook the spinach without any liquid. Add the ginger and seasoning . Stain the juice of the spinach through a colander and keep as a stock for the sauce. Press the spinach to extract as much moisture as possible. Add the nuts and celery to the spinach.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan and quickly fry the steaks for 2 minutes on each side, or less if rare steaks are preferred.
- Mix the sauce ingredients, including the reserved spinach juice, in a pan and boil for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Pour over the steaks and heat through.
- To serve, place the spinach mixture on a dish and top with the steaks.